God has wonderful promises for us as we travel on through life and into later years.The best news is that,inside we need never grow old because He has actually promised to renew our youth day by day.

Isaiah 40:31



Monday, 8 June 2015

Farewell





As you all know from previous  posts, my call to solitude has steadily increased  as has my need to embrace solitude and contemplate the eremitical life following a simple tenet common among solitaries:  God is in the silence

I am blessed by the fact that my husband understands this call and has embraced solitude himself for most of his adult life, though for more philosophical reasons than for drawing closer to God.

The decision has been an easy one, just a natural progression of what has gone before...but the living of it will not be as easy, for me any way, but I will learn; am willing and eager to learn; to get closer to God in the silence.

We both have obligations and my husband does need to go to work to pay our bills, my obligations are few and  my time is my own to do with as I please now that I am retired.

It is for this reason that this blog must come to an end. Blogs lend themselves to self aggrandisement and it just doesn't feel 'right' to continue. This blog started in 2011, before that  there was a blog to show and sell my paintings, now long gone.

The eremitical life is centred on prayer and the search for God, like other forms of contemplative life. There are many forms of and aspects to prayer and here too every hermit has a personal way or emphasis which for me as a Franciscan Tertiary is expressed in my personal Rule of Life.

From the very beginning Saint Francis spent most of his time in caves, in solitude and contemplation. In 1222 St Francis  wrote his "Document on Solitude" which allowed his followers to live as hermits whenever they desired. It is my hope that on my Profession my position as a  Franciscan Solitary will be given official recognition.

Contrary to the caricature of hermits habitually living in damp caves or inaccessible forests there is a growing Urban Hermit movement, predominantly middle aged and female according to a survey taken in 2001 by the "Raven'sBread" which is an international quarterly newsletter that provides guidance on hermit life

Abba Antony, one of the first of the Desert Fathers (251-356 CE) looked at the world around him and remarked;_ " The time is coming when people will be insane, and when they see someone who is not insane, they will attack that person, saying: 'You are insane because you are not like us'"
(Thomas Merton in "The Monastic Journey")

This is where both my husband and I find ourselves, time of growth and challenge for both of us.

Thank you all for your support and emails over the last few years. If any of you wish to keep in touch my personal email is here.

This blog will stay active till the end of June and then will be deleted in its entirety.


10th June
Thank you for the emails...most of you understand my reasons, but one or two of you who have contacted me do not. No matter.


Pax et Bonum

No comments:

Post a Comment